Monday, November 10, 2014

Forums

Because I am an avid Doctor Who fan (also known as whovians), I decided to look at a Doctor Who Forum. The one I joined has a subtitle of "Theories even more insane than what's actually happening". That should give you a sense of how... interesting... it is.

A lot of it is people presenting personal theories as to what will happen next, or what has happened, in the "who-niverse" concerning plot twists and character revelations. I guess that places it in the category of self-promotion. Because they are personal theories there is also a bit of controversy. In this case I am using the word controversy to mean that the theories don't always agree. But that's okay because the theorists don't seem to care.

On that note, there doesn't seem to be a lot of policing. A lot of shooting down theories (mainly people going back and rewatching and observing more carefully past episodes) and a lot of counter-theorizing, but like I said, no one seems to care. To me, it's just personal speculation about what may or may not happen in the series.

The other forum I looked at is Gilmore Girls. My wife likes that show, although I don't watch it. (That's Ok, though, because she doesn't watch Doctor Who). I just scratched the surface of the Gilmore Girls Forum, but it has a lot of similarities to the Doctor Who forum. They both have episode-specific subforums and most of the users have profile pictures that have something to do with their respective shows. One thing I did notice is that the Gilmore Girls forum seems to be a bit more organized and Doctor Who is just chaotic with the amount of replies and threads that it has.

So, that's a relatively comparative something-or-other on forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment